Saturday, March 5, 2011

Songs for the love, Lorne.

Alright, probably only my mom and a few geeks who stumble upon this blog will understand the title of this post. But I assure you, it actually is relevant (or, remotely related) to what I'm about to share.

I made some horns today! I tried to replicate Lorne's from the TV show Angel. They came out pretty awesome, especially considering the materials at my disposal. Some plaster from Home Depot, slip latex, and balloon rubber. Not a whole heck of a lot to work with, but I didn't want to drive to almost-Burbank to get the real stuff from Frends Beauty Supply. And, even if I did want to drive to almost-Burbank, they're closed on the weekends.

Anyhow. I quickly sculpted up a pretty spot on duplicate of said horns (if I do say so myself), then trotted out to the yard to get molding. By the time I was done cleaning up my mess, the mold was already nice and set.
"Ok, so I have a mold, now what am I going to put in it?" Ruled out gelatin 'cause the horns would be too heavy and jiggly. Leaving me with, as stated above, slip latex and balloon rubber.

Anyone who has worked with these mediums knows my dilemma. Slip latex is notorious for bad blending edges, and balloon rubber is for bald caps (and wrinkle stipple, but for the sake of my next sentence, let's just say bald caps).  LIGHT BULB! Bald caps have great blending edges! (If you make them right)  So there ya go. I stippled a thin layer of balloon rubber on the part of the horn that will eventually end up on my face, and slushed the slip latex around in the rest of it. Powdered it, pulled it out and well...

TA DA!! A slip latex horn with good blending edges! Can't wait to paint and apply them on Monday during down time at school. I'M GONNA BE A...no, unless you can guess, you don't find out until Monday.




Tootles!

No comments:

Post a Comment